Our Museum Team at Elmina Castle
A special committee comprising of some of the most distinguished Ghanaian business leaders, educators, and government officials will work with world-renowned architect David Adjaye and United States developer Strategic Urban Development Alliance, LLC (SUDA) in the development of the Museum project.
Furthermore, the project has garnered the support of the Smithsonian Institution, the Museum of the African Diaspora, the Government of China, and UNESCO and will also solicit input of other museums worldwide to ensure that the highest standards and best practices are incorporated into the planning and operation of the museum.
Ghana Museums and Monuments Board
The Ghana Museums and Monuments Board among its various responsibilities advices the Government of Ghana on issues relating to the cultural heritage of Ghana and coordinates the establishment of new museums. We will closely work in tandem with the Museums and Monuments Board to develop the museum.
A newly-formed Development Committee of the Slavery Foundation for Hope & Remembrance and Strategic Urban Development Alliance, LLC will be responsible for the implementation of the project. For more information about the Ghana Museums & Monuments Board and other branches of the Ghanaian government visit www.ghana.gov.gh
Patrons and Board Members of the Slavery Foundation for Hope & Remembrance
- His Eminence, Peter Cardinal Appiah Turkson, President of Vatican Peace Council
- Honorable Kofi Annan, Ghanaian Diplomat, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Former Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Daasebre Kweibu Ewusi VII, President of Central Regional House of Chiefs; Member of the Council of State
- Osabarimba Kwesi Atta II, Omanhen of Oguaa Traditional Area; Former Member of Ghana’s Constitutional Review Commission
Board of Directors:
- Honorable Fritz Balfour, Member of Parliament; Chairman, Ghana Museums and Monuments Board
- * Mr. John Bentum Williams, Chairman of the Board; former Adviser of UNCTAD & UN Mission to Somalia (UNISOM; former CEO & COO Social Security Bank; former CEO State Mining Corporation (formerly known as Ghana Investment Promotion Centre (GIPC)
- * Professor Edward S. Ayensu, former Director and Senior Scientist of the Smithsonian Institution; former Chairman, World Bank Inspection Panel; former Chairman, Ghana Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR); Chairman, African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Board of Trustees
- * Dr. K. Cadman Mills, former World Bank Economist; Senior Advisor to the President.
- * Mr. Alan E. Dones, Managing Principal, Strategic Urban Development Alliance, LLC (SUDA) United States
- Professor S.O. Gyandoh, Professor Emeritus, Temple University School of Law, United States
- * Professor Kofi Afful, former Professor of Economics, University of Cape Coast; Former Member of President’s Economic Advisory Council; Ghana COCOBOD Board Member
- * Dr. Kobina Quansah, Board Chairman of Vodafone Ghana; former Managing Director, Barclays Bank Ghana; Director, Newmont Mining Company
- * Dr. Louis Casley-Hayford, former Chief Executive, Volta River Authority
- * Mr. Ben Kofi Hanson, Founder & President , Slavery Foundation For Hope & Remembrance
- Mr. Nkunu Akyea, former Executive Director, Ghana Heritage Trust
- Ms. Deryl McKissack, CEO, McKissack & McKissack, United States
- Mrs. Selma Egala, Attorney at Law
- * Members of Development Committee
Strategic Urban Development Alliance, LLC (SUDA) was formed in 2001 as a fully integrated general engineering, construction, real estate, and finance firm. SUDA principals, Alan Dones, John Guillory, James Collier, John Aidoo, Dr. Marc Hannah and Dr. Edward Ayensu have long, respected professional histories and bring a diversity of experience, expertise and vision to the firm.
SUDA’s real estate transaction management arm offers a mix of brokerage and consulting services, including three primary lines of business:
- Portfolio and Asset Management Services
- Transaction Management Services
- Development & Construction Management Services
As a developer, SUDA is involved in land acquisition, construction and sale of residential, industrial, and commercial projects throughout the United States. SUDA’s construction management and technical services include program management, plan review, estimating, scheduling, contract award, and field inspections. SUDA principles also have been extremely successful in developing and utilizing proprietary state-of-the-art construction technologies, materials and methodologies.
» Read more at SUDALLC.com
Adjaye Associates was established in June 2000 by founder and principal architect, David Adjaye OBE. Receiving ever-increasing worldwide attention, the practice is currently engaged on the commission to design the Smithsonian Institution’s ambitious National Museum of African American Culture and History in Washington D.C.
Further projects range in scale from private houses, exhibitions and temporary pavilions to major arts centres, civic buildings and masterplans in Europe, North America, the Middle East, Asia and Africa. Renowned for an eclectic material and colour palette and a capacity to unfold cinematically, the buildings differ in form and style, yet are unified by their ability to challenge typologies and to generate a dynamic cultural discourse.
Completed works include:
- two neighborhood libraries in Washington DC (2012)
- the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO in Moscow (2010)
- The Nobel Peace Center in Oslo (2005)
- The Bernie Grant Arts Center in London (2007)
- the Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver (2007)
- Rivington Place in London (2007); and the Idea Stores on Chrisp Street (2004) and Whitechapel (2005) – two pioneering new libraries in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
- The former was nominated for the Stirling Prize in 2006, received a RIBA Building Award in 2005 and has been exhibited at the VIII Venice Biennale of Architecture (2002 and 2005) and the Sao Paulo Biennial (2003).
» Read more at Adjaye.com